Episode 2: Going beyond the visible horizon: In a candid chat with Mr. Assif Olivero Ferrao, our alumni pursuing higher studies abroad.


Name: Assif Olivero Ferrao, 2019

Batch: 2019
Course: Applied Environmental Geology. 
Current Institute: University College Cork (UCC). Ireland.


Mr. Assif Ferrao, Second from left


1    What made you choose Geology?
I got inspired by a talk given to us in my 11th standard, where one lecturer from NCAOR said that the real superheroes of the world are not any politician or spiderman or a famous athlete but the real superheroes are geologists, where we actually know, how to save the earth and what actions to take. I developed a strong affinity for the subject ever since.

Did you always wanted to study abroad? Why? In which semester of your under-graduate course did you apply for it?
No, I didn’t always want to study abroad but as I did my research on the opportunities and scope of the field I wanted to carry out, I decided to study abroad.
I started searching and getting the documents ready before the 5th semester started.

How did you decide your college and the country?
I applied to many countries like the Netherlands, Germany, UK, Ireland. I got in some, and some I didn’t. comparing all the opportunities I had UK showed a better course structure module wise but I didn’t opt for UK because of the Brexit issues and I didn’t want to take a chance. The next best option was Ireland because the course structure suited.

How did you manage the finances for your study abroad? Are there any scholarships that you would recommend applying for?
Most of the finances were covered from my dad’s savings, I will return it to him after I start earning of course 😊.
Scholarships depend on the country you’re applying to and the type of course as well. I received a scholarship from UCC, solely based on my merit and my Statement of Purpose (SOP). I even applied for the Goa government interest-free loan, which is the best type of loan anyone could apply, for further studies. They provide 8lakhs per year.

How are the lectures there different from the lectures here?
As my course is more applied, whatever we are thought we practice infield and understand how it works. There is a lot of theory no doubt, and daily submissions like how we have our CA’s. Lecturers don’t provide proper study material over here or I would say less of spoon-feeding. We must go to the library and put in the effort or search online. But books and research papers are the best sources of information here, more than the net.
Comparatively the level of the lectures over here is a bit higher and we are always on our toes.

How did you manage your stay and food?
As far as Stay Is concerned, it is a bit expensive as compared to other European countries. I would suggest tie-up with some people on Facebook who are also joining the same college and rent out a house, which is what I’m doing presently. I used to make my own meal-preps for myself even back in Goa, so I never had a problem with that. But meal-prepping is the key so that you don’t waste time everyday cooking food.

How did you manage your everyday expenses? Did you take up a part-time job? Was it related to your field of study?
Initially, I had carried some cash in hand enough for about  2 months. After the first month, I started a part-time job at a superstore, with which I covered my expenses like stay, food and a bit saving. No, it wasn’t related to my field but over here if you get any opportunity, you should grab it with both hands open wide.

What were the difficulties you faced there?
Initially, It was very difficult to search for accommodation. I Used to stay with one of my friends from Goa. I searched for over a month and finally found a place close to my college.

Describe your experience studying/working as of now? What changes do you see in yourself now?
As far as experience is concerned I am finding it a bit challenging and interesting. Some changes that I see in myself would be like I go to the library and make my own notes I do not depend on the teachers' notes provided to us. I do my own background study on the topic and be prepared for the upcoming tests. Whatever study material they provide is limited and we have to do our own research to get good marks.
So if this happened back in Goa students would usually panic and pressurize the teachers to provide the necessary study material but over here we are all on our own and we have to take up a challenge and be confident in ourselves.

What advantages and disadvantages do you have compared to the students studying in India? Would you recommend your juniors to study abroad? Why?
One of the advantages I would state would be the exposure to new technology in the field. as my course is applied, we get to see how it works in the real world and in the industry which I feel is a plus point on a study POV.  
I would surely recommend juniors to study abroad if they can manage it. But to do a thorough study on the place and course they’re applying in.

In the near future, do you have any plans to settle in that country? Why?
Yes, I do have plans of settling in this country as I have to wave off the amount I have invested in the course, and also, I have to repay my dad and the bank loan.

Would you like to suggest something essential that can be added to our undergraduate course to help us improve ?
More of software knowledge should be included like QGIS, Excel. Excel is a software which is used widely in handling and analyzing data.
Opting for physics as my interdisciplinary course helped me a lot in modules like; rock mechanics, soil mechanics and Geotechnical engineering. If one is interested in such courses then I would advise it is a good option to opt for physics as your interdisciplinary subject in your 5th semester.


Interviewed by: Amberly and Rakhi (TyBsc 2020)

Comments

  1. I am very satisfied with your post. Thanks for sharing!. You can also visit my post.

    Study in Ireland creates a unique opportunity for them at the bachelor and postgraduate levels to join research programs that are spur innovation and changing lives worldwide. For more information on us and for helpful tips visit our website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WORKSHOP ON GIS

Visit ONGC Ipshem at Betul, Goa on 24th July 2019

Induction of the committee of Club Nebulites by the Geology Department